Pumpkin Candle Flower Arrangement
By Sue Lovelace, Sonoma County Master Gardener
Plastic wrap or a pot liner (to fit inside your pumpkin)
Floral foam (enough for the inside bottom of your pumpkin)
4 floral picks
1 pillar candle (insert at #1 leaving 8 pts for foliage & floral)
3 types of foliage (oak, Photinia, Solidago at 8 points)
8 peach-colored roses (insert at 8 points)
8 gallardia (insert at 8 points)
8 alstromeria (insert at 8 points)
8 ivy vines with berries (insert at 8 points, using more, if necessary, to fill in all over)
Diagram of the 9-point round pattern:
1. Plant stems should be cleaned of foliage, cut on an angle and soaked in warm water for at least an hour; and the floral foam placed in a water-filled container until it sinks on its own.
2. Cut a round hole at the top of the pumpkin and remove the seeds and tissue.
3. Line the inside of the pumpkin with plastic wrap or insert a pot liner.
4. Place the soaked foam on top of the wrap or liner. The foam will secure the material and keep the inserted foliage and flowers hydrated.
5. Prepare the candle for insertion into the foam: Take 4 floral picks and place them evenly around the lower circumference of the candle and secure them to the candle with floral tape, leaving little “legs” that extend below the candle. The candle with picks is inserted into the foam at point #1 in the diagram above.
6. Insert one piece of foliage (a mix of oak, Photinia, and Solidago) at points #2 though #9.
7. Insert flowers at each of the points: a peach-colored rose at points #2 through #9, followed by the other flowers (gallardia, alstromeria) at each of these 8 points. The flowers need to look like they are radiating out from the center, so angle them out a bit. Insert the flowers at points 6, 7, 8, and 9 at more downward angles. If you are using flowers from your yard and do not have enough flowers for all points, look for something that will equal the project material in color and/or size to balance the arrangement (for example, sunflowers and more gallardia).
8. Insert the ivy vines with berries at points #2 though #9 to “dance” over arrangement (fill in all over, using more, if necessary).
Practice this method with different plant combinations from your yard and with other types of containers. HAVE FUN!!