University of California
UC Master Gardener Program of Sonoma County
Maintaining an Irrigation System
Yearly drip system maintenance is especially important to make sure plants are receiving the water they require and that none is being wasted.
- Check the system early in spring before it is turned on for spring-summer irrigation. This would include opening the end caps and “flushing” the system.
- Clean filters regularly – at least monthly for wells, yearly for municipal water.
- Also check county and local municipality drought restrictions, such as when to irrigate and limits on water use.
- During the irrigation season, check the system on a monthly basis, inspecting tubing for leaks and clogged emitters. Use the senses (especially hearing and sight) to detect problems.
- Monitor and adjust the system relative to what is happening with the plants. Add/Remove tubing/emitters as plants grow or die and need to be replaced.